SC-OR was created to SOLVE MULTIPLE PROBLEMS:
The City of Oroville was under a building moratorium; No new homes could be built due to on-going problems with the City's sewer plant (primary treatment facility built in the 1950's).
- Expansion of North Burbank service area (now LOAPUD) due to completion of the Dam
- No sewer in Thermalito (all septic)
- To comply with the Clean Water Act*, and to lift the building moratorium!
*Clean Water Act (CWA)
- Passed by Congress, 1972
- Nationwide water pollution (example: Cuyahoga River on fire, Cleveland, Ohio (1969)
- Permit system established ((National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)); No discharge to rivers, lakes, or oceans without NPDES permit.
- Sewer plants must upgrade to secondary (biological) treatment.